Thursday, February 13, 2014

Living in a religious state

Whenever I mention that I live in Utah, the first thing out of anyone's mouth involves the word, Mormon. Some will ask what wife number I am. Haha no they do not practice polygamy here anymore. I was just reading an article that said Utah is the 2nd most religious state in the US and I believe it. Never have I lived somewhere where religion is in my face on a regular basis. Back in the Midwest there were religious people but we never talked about it and I rarely thought about it. I was raised catholic, went to a catholic grade school from 3rd - 8th grade, attended REP clases in high school, and was confirmed. It wasn't until college that I started to pull back and question religion. While I am no longer a practicing catholic, I consider myself somewhat religious though probably more on the agnostic side now. It's been a huge transition living in Utah. To be surrounded by their deeply rooted religious beliefs, it's a far cry from liberal Chicago where I last lived. While I don't agree with all the Mormon beliefs/teachings I say to each their own and as long as I can live my life the way I want that's all I care about. I will say though that if I was to join a church again it would not be the Mormon church. There is no way I would ever give up alcohol, wearing tank tops or other "non modest" clothes, hours of my life that I would have to spend in church, and I most definitely would never wear garments under my clothes. It's so hot here in the summer, the less clothes the better. I will say this though, the people in Utah are extremely nice and always willing to help. If that's the result of religion than they are doing something right in their teachings!  There are so many other things I could say on this topic but I will save it for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment